What should my son do if he cannot afford an attorney for a DUI charge? 1 Answers as of January 19, 2011

My son in the Air Force and is stationed in Abilene. He got a DUI in August. He had a court date on January 3rd and was advised by the judge to get an attorney. However he cannot afford one. Any advice? Next court date is Jan. 27th. Thanks for your help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Purnell Law Firm
The Purnell Law Firm | Simon Purnell
An accused in any criminal proceeding (including DWI's) is entitled to legal counsel. If your son cannot afford one, the court should allow him to complete an affidavit of indigency and appoint him an attorney from the local Bar. In the event he can afford one, he should seek a competent criminal attorney who knows how to handle a DWI case. The cost of such an attorney varies on the jurisdiction and experience of the attorney.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/19/2011
Click to View More Answers: