What should my son do after being charged with auto theft? 14 Answers as of June 23, 2011

My son just got into a trouble being with his friend who's auto theft, what do I do?

If the case has been issued, then his only choice is to plead not guilty and take a favorable settlement offer or go to trial. He should either hire an attorney or take the Public Defender. Feel free to call me if you'd like to discuss it further.
Law Offices of Scott Tibbedeaux
Law Offices of Scott Tibbedeaux | Scott Tibbedeaux
Contact an attorney for representation whether it is a public defender or private attorney.
In short, you or he should hire a criminal defense attorney to defend him in the case.
I need more information on where the case is in the criminal justice system. It is always best to consult directly with an attorney.
Plead guilty and go to prison, or fight it. When charged with such a felony, you potentially face one or more years in prison if convicted. When arrested or charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a search or confession be used against you, and can you be convicted, and what can you do? Raise all possible defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence and facts are available for legal arguments, for evidence suppression or other motions, or at trial. Not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent himself against a professional prosecutor intending to convict and jail you. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help use whatever defenses there may be.
    I would consult an experience certified criminal law specialist who can advise you.
    California Criminal Defense Center
    California Criminal Defense Center | Ardalon Fakhimi
    Advise your son not to make any statements to anyone without first consulting an attorney. If he is questioned by law enforcement, he should state that he wants to invoke his 5th Amendment right to remain silent and he should ask to speak with an attorney. He should then consult with a qualified criminal defense lawyer.
    The Law Office of Lewis R. Rosenblum
    The Law Office of Lewis R. Rosenblum | Lewis Rosenblum
    I would recommend a free consultation with a local lawyer in your area. You can always apply for the Public Defender if the quoted fees are too high. I would also strongly suggest your son not make any statements to the police, or anyone else, while the case is being investigated.
    The Chastaine Law Office
    The Chastaine Law Office | Michael Chastaine
    Get an attorney to look the case over. Auto theft is a felony and a serious offense. Also he should not talk to anyone about the charges until he talks to legal counsel.
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    Of course your son needs to retain an experienced criminal defense law firm like Wallin and Klarich. He is facing either a felony which carries maximum of 3 years in prison or misdemeanor and one year in county jail... either way very serious and can impact him for rest of his life by having a criminal record. Feel free to contact us or go to wklaw.com to read more about how we help people in this situation.
    Bird & Van Dyke, Inc.
    Bird & Van Dyke, Inc. | Mary Ann Bird
    He needs to be represented by an attorney. Auto theft can be charged as a felony with a maximum exposure of three years of state prison. It is a crime of moral turpitude and will negatively affect his future.
    Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law
    Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law | Alanna D. Coopersmith
    I'd hire a lawyer who specializes in criminal defense and practices a lot in that court.
    Hire an attorney for him before he starts incriminating himself to investigators that come knocking on the door.
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo | Matthew Murillo
    Get him an attorney. If his friend was also charged they're looking at a Co-Defendant situation in working out a plea deal. This may hurt your son, so I would strongly urge you to start consulting attorneys and go with one you feel comfortable with.