What should my son do after being charged for possession of marijuana in Arizona? 1 Answers as of January 04, 2011

My son was caught with possession of marijuana and paraphelia in his vehicle, he is 17 now, this just happended 4 days ago. The officer said he will not be charged until he's 18, he'll be 18 in 7 months. Why do not they charge now? The officer said wait until he's 18 then he'll get something in the mail from the courts. Why can't we do anything about it now, while he's 17?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Jackson White, PC
Jackson White, PC | Jeremy Geigle
If you are arrested for any crime as a juvenile, someone under 18 years of age, you need to speak to an attorney who understands the system immediately. This is especially true if you are 16 or 17 years old because law enforcement can and WILL hold the charges until your 18th birthday and charge you as an adult unless you get an attorney involved. Being charged in juvenile court is 100% different and better than being charged in adult court. If the officer has indicated that he will hold the charges until you are 18, then it is so very important to get an attorney involved so that the case can be processed in the juvenile court instead of the adult court. In the juvenile court, you won't have an adult criminal record, your ability to destroy and expunge your juvenile record is better, and often your punishment is less severe. In adult court you will have a permanent criminal history that can and will affect the rest of your life, you will have a more difficult time cleaning up your record, and the punishment is often much more severe. Please do not sit back and wait for things to happen to you. You must take charge of your life and hire someone to process the case in the juvenile court if you want to best protect your future.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 1/4/2011
Click to View More Answers: