What should my grandson do if faced with a constructive possession charge? 6 Answers as of October 25, 2013

My grandson was given a citation by a DNR officer for possesion of marijuana. He and two of his friends were parked. His friends who were in the front seat had paraphalia in the glove compartment and the driver had marijuana bag in his pocket. At the time of the encounter with the officer, my grandson was smoking a regular cigarette. He told the officer he did not have any marijuana and he was just smoking a cigarette. He can't afford to pay a lawyer up front but can make payments. He has a steady job and he has never been in trouble. He called the prosecutor's office and they said he was charged with "constructive possession". What should he do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
he should ask for a lawyer and fight the matter. If he had nothing to do with the drugs then he is NOT guilty. Constructive possession is like the owner that has drugs in a place where he has control.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/25/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Retain an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 10/25/2013
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
It is really best to get a lawyer, since a conviction will impact his future for life. We do take payments and would be willing to discuss this with him.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 10/24/2013
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
I really have a little problem believing that everyone in the car was smoking pot but him. He could go submit to a blood test to see whether he has any marijuana in his system. If clear, he can present it to the judge.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 10/23/2013
Criminal Defense & Civil Litigation, LLC | Michael C. Witt
Schedule a confidential consult with a local defense lawyer. Many lawyers will work out payments with someone who is employed, and has the ability to pay. If he can't afford a lawyer, he should see if he is eligible for a public defender. He does not need to take a conviction that will follow him around for the rest of his life just because the prosecutor says so.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 10/23/2013
Click to View More Answers: