What should my brother do after being served with a divorce? 8 Answers as of March 08, 2011

My brother got Married in 1991. He and his wife have been separated for 4 or more years, he just received divorce papers. What should he do, they have 4 children two are over 18yrs of age. Any advice?

Your brother should promptly have a face-to-face consultation with an experienced Family Law Attorney, long before his 30-day response time expires. He should keep the peace in his household, and it may help for him to see a psychotherapist for guidance regarding how to deal with his wife and children through and after the divorce.
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
Your brother needs to file and serve a Response to the Petition. Then he must comply with all the statutory discovery laws, and rules, prepare the case for trial, and litigate whatever cannot be resolved by way of agreement. Specific questions should be detected to a qualified attorney to protect all of your interests.
Bartholomew & Wasznicky LLP
Bartholomew & Wasznicky LLP | Hal D. Bartholomew
First of all, he has 30 days to file a response with the court after he is served. If he does not file a response on time, his wife may proceed by way of default. This could mean that he would be giving up substantial rights. He needs to consult with an attorney regarding child support, custody, property etc. as soon as possible.
Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
He has 30 days to file a Response. He should contact an attorney and schedule a consultation. He can learn a lot in one hour about his rights and options. He may or may not need to hire an attorney, but he should at least do a consultation.
Pisarra and Grist
Pisarra and Grist | David T. Pisarra
He needs to file a Response, but the first thing to do is read my books, A MAN'S GUIDE TO CHILD CUSTODY and A MAN'S GUIDE TO DIVORCE STRATEGY.
    Hire a family law attorney now and file for visitation.
    File a response to prevent a default being taken, file a motion for custody and visitation of minor children, and perhaps seek the assistance of an attorney. I would be happy to help and offer a free consultation. Please have you brother call me for assistance.
    He should call a local lawyer to help him understand his rights and develop options to resolve the divorce, including issues such as dividing assets/debts, custody, visitation, child and perhaps spousal support.