What should I plead at the arraignment? 17 Answers as of February 04, 2013

I was charged felony 5 theft by deception. They say it was around $2000 but it was a rewards program that rewarded $20 per so many points. There’s no way the amount is right but I didn’t remember account #s to get online and prove otherwise. I already talked to a detective and told the truth, but he said if I didn’t within a week, he would put a warrant for my arrest. I wait and that was not enough time to save $2000 for an attorney. What should I plead? I have a perfectly clean record, the incident was over 2 years ago.

Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
To try to work a plea with prosecutor, one generally pleads not guilty to a felony. You will be able to request an attorney at arraignment.
Toivonen Law Office | John Toivonen
I tell my clients to plead not guilty at arraignment. If you cannot afford an attorney, ask for an appointed one at your arraignment.
At arraignment you ask for an attorney. Felone can result in a prison sentence.
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
Considering that pleading guilty would probably result in you having a permanent criminal record and possibly having to serve time in jail or prison, you should consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Online posts are not confidential.
Steven Dodge | Steven Dodge
Plead not guilty at your arraignment, request a preliminary examination and get an attorney as soon as possible. Also, don't make any more statements to law enforcement.
    You should plead not guilty and find a way to hire an attorney to represent you. If you absolutely cannot afford one, then ask the judge to appoint a public defender to represent you in this case.
    Plead not guilty and ask the court for a public defender to be appointed, if you are poor and cannot afford a lawyer. If said appointment is refused, ask for time to retain private counsel.
    You get a lawyer and plead NOT guilty. To do anything else is to give up any and all bargaining power that you might have. Something can usually be worked out.
    Rizio & Nelson
    Rizio & Nelson | John W. Bussman
    Even if you are guilty of the crime, you should plead "not guilty" at your arraignment. This will give your attorney an opportunity to review the evidence and to determine whether or not you might have defenses to the charges. Your attorney also needs time to negotiate a possible disposition with the DA. If you cannot afford an attorney, the public defender will be appointed to represent you at your arraignment. You will be given a chance to speak with your public defender before making any decisions. You should not talk to anyone other than your attorney regarding this case.
    Law Offices of James H. Dippery, Jr. | James H. Dippery, Jr.
    Hello, Say nothing else to anyone, especially the police. When you have your first court appearance ask for the Public Defender to be appointed. Talk to the attorney and let him/her represent your interests.
    Without details you cannot be helped, if you cannot afford to the represented at least buy an hour or two of attorney time to see what is anticipated.
    Theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life, or open your mouth in open court and incriminate yourself.
    You plead guilty, and have an unclean record for the rest of your life, OR you plead not guilty and (1) represent yourself; (2) ask for public defender; or (3) ask for opportunity to retain your own attorney.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
    Plead Not Guilty and get counsel.
    As to continue the matter and get a lawyer. It sounds like you may have a valid defense to the charge.
    Law Offices of Kenneth M. Christopher ESQ | Kenneth Christopher
    You should plead NOT GUILTY and ask for time to hire a lawyer or ask that one be assigned to you if you can't afford a lawyer.