What should I pay for a simple Will with only one beneficiary? 18 Answers as of March 31, 2014

I am divorced with one adult child who will be the only beneficiary.

Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
The preparation for a simple will should be no more than a few hundred dollars, depending upon the area that you live in. However, you should discuss your family situation with the attorney to be sure that a simple will is right for you.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
It depends upon the attorney.. However if you do not have any other children and are not married and everything is to go to that only child. You may not need a will Michigan law provides defaults when there is no will and your son would be your heir-at-law and get your estate without a will.
It depends how complex your estate is, it will be much more if you're a business owner with a complex estate than if you're a retiree with a house, pension, IRA and some investments. For the average individual, in the range of $200-$400.
Edward L. Armstrong, P.C. | Edward L. Armstrong
I have no idea what you SHOULD pay. You can certainly ask around. My guess would be you would pay between $100 and $400 but that's simply a guess.
In the range of $300 to $500?
    You should form a revocable trust.
    Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons
    Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons | Patrica A Simmons
    Each attorney sets his/her own rate for drafting a will.
    Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
    I would think $200-300. Better yet, you should try to structure things to avoid probate, in the first place. In that case, you do not need to have a Will. There are too many variables to discuss this without more information about your assets. But I seldom prepare Wills for people these days. Most people prefer to avoid probate, especially in cases like yours.
    There is no such thing as a simple will. Wills have long term consequences whether drafted right or wrong. I charge an hourly rate for as long as it takes to complete the task the client desires.
    In California, you can obtain a statutory will online for free. However, if you want a Will that is drafted to your specifications, I recommend you use a local estate planning attorney for assistance. The cost will be about $500 or less. Using an attorney means that the will meets your needs and is tailored to your wishes.
    Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
    That would likely depend on the area of the state that you are in. S. Florida rates for wills might likely be higher than in Central Florida. Rates are based on the going rate of the attorneys in the area that you live in or it might be based on the experience of the attorney. If you have hire an attorney that is certified by the bar as and estate planning attorney the rate will definitely be higher no matter the area of the state you live in.
    Attorney At Law | James G. Maguire
    $200 or less.
    The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C.
    The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C. | Douglas L. Bryan
    I generally charge $175 for a statutory will. I've heard other attorneys charge much more.
    Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
    If you have a small estate you can do it yourself online and don?t pay anything. If you own a home or have other large assets it might be worth your time and money to visit an attorney or an accountant and get their advice.
    $250 - $325.
    A very basic, short will run you from $250 to $500 in many markets but some attorneys may charge more. The cost will also rise if you have some specific issues that need to be addressed such as avoiding taxes or a child with special needs who's receiving Medicaid, etc.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    You probably need powers of attorney for health care financial matters and a living will. In Nevada you would expect to pay less than $800 to get that accomplished. Schedule consultation with an attorney to get a quote in your area.
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    Prices can vary greatly for this. Reasonable price would e $250-500 if all you are doing is a will.