What should I expect when divorcing someone who I sponsored for immigration purposes? 2 Answers as of January 24, 2011

I sponsored my fiance over and married her in the US, we have been married for over a year now and we both want a divorce. The daily arguments are getting worse in our household, and I am afraid she will run away before the divorce a finalized. What should I do and what should I expect if she does run away?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
If you have sponsored her for permanent residency, then it is likely conditional residency (2 year green card) . She can still maintain this with a self-petition after divorce, if she can show you are divorced and the original marriage was in good faith.

As part of the petitioning process you did sign an Affidavit of Support. Several family law courts have held that the Affidavit is enforceable even after divorce to make sure she has a minimal lifestyle equal to 125% of the Poverty Guidelines.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/24/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
If she runs away, she will be illegal after her two year green card expires.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: