What should I expect if I was not given paperwork after being caught with drugs? 5 Answers as of August 03, 2011

What should I do if I haven't gotten any paperwork after I was taken to a police station for possession of narcotic paraphenelia (syringe) that I hid for a friend in his car? I was taken to the police station then taken to the hospital due to the fact that I said I had swallowed heroin, which never actually occurred. I was released from the hospital without ever being evaluated after 5 minutes of arrival without any bond or actual date to appear. I had said that I would cooperate with officers but after two unsuccessful attempts to help them in exchange for dropping my charges I don't know what to do or what to expect. What should I do?

Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
Hire a lawyer.
Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC
Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC | Jeffery A. Cojocar
Retain counsel if you are contacted by the police again, before you work out any further arrangements.
Have you been charged with a crime? If no, then there is nothing to do at this time. If you have been charged, you will be given a date to appear in court for arraignment. At that time you should hire an attorney or ask the court for a court appointed attorney.
That may be because they have not filed the charges yet. You or may or may not found out in the mail that a warrant has been issued for your arrest. You could try contacting the officer or the prosecutor's office to see if charges have been file or if they plan to file charges in the matter. If charges are filed, you should turn yourself in as soon as possible in order to be arraigned. Make sure you retain an experienced criminal attorney.
Hire your own private counsel immediately. It could get very ugly without representation. T