What should I expect at my trial for a 484E arrest in California? 10 Answers as of February 18, 2011

I was arrested for 484E. My Boss at the time always let me use his credit card as long as I paid him back. I used it to play at a game site Total was $215.00. He was mad at me and he is very forgetful. He had our accountant call the cops and say I did not have permission to use his card. I was arrested then after I got out I heard that he never thought it would go this far and he told my lawyer that he was not going to go to court he was too busy. I go to trial soon, what should I expect to happen and can they charge me if he does not show up? He also owes me over $2000.00 in pay. One more thing I had a e-mail from him saying "Windy, yes I told you as long as you pay me for what is charged on the card you can use it. When are we going to Vegas!" To me that is giving me permission. Thank you.

First, have your attorney talk to boss about a civil compromise. Boss gets paid, which is what he wants. Court likes idea as it freesup a trial department. Give your attorney a copy of the e-mail about using the card and inviting you to Vegas with him. DO not show boss the e-mail . That is could create bigger problems for you.
Sounds like you have a pretty decent case. But first of all, if the case goes to trial, the prosecutor will subpoena your boss, and 9 times out of 10 people show up when they are subpoenaed (it doesn't matter what he says to you now). Consider hiring an experienced defense attorney, who may be able to get the charge reduced or even dismissed without trial.
You need to question your lawyer about this. it is not allowed for one lawyer to discuss a ongoing case with a person if that person is represented by a lawyer.
Law Office of Joe Dane
Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
From your question, it appears as though you have an attorney, so I'm not sure why you're posting questions online. You should be discussing this with your attorney. You have been charged, but you have a defense. You appear to have documentation that supports your defense. I'm not sure why your case has gotten this far if your attorney has presented this to the prosecutor, but here you are, still facing charges.
What should you expect? To have to defend the charges.

There is no magic wand to make this go away. Police and prosecutors don't take the time to research, prepare and file charges just to drop them. You face charges that could put in jail/prison, and most police and prosecutors will happily tell you that 95% of people convict themselves by trying to be 'helpful and cooperative'. If it is not already too late, I advise you to exercise 5th Amendment rights to SHUT UP and call a lawyer, as every cop show on TV correctly teaches. The attorney will now have to make any motions to dismiss or suppress evidence that may be appropriate, and defend the charges in court hearings and at trial, based upon all the arguments, documents, facts, evidence, witnesses, surveillance tapes, etc. Unless you know how to effectively represent yourself in court, hire an attorney who does. If this is in SoCal, and youre serious about hiring counsel, feel free to contact me.
    1. It is permission, even afterthe fact. 2. They can theoretically arrest him on a bench warrant for failing to appear if the DA summons him but on a little beef like this it is doubtful. 3. Give your lawyer the email. 4. Good luck. Let me know what happens. Best guess is that they will dump it unless you are in a real bad jurisdiction.
    You need to provide all this information to your attorney. I have worked on very similar cases and have been able to get these cases dismissed without the need for a trial.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    Get an attorney! Keep the email and give it to your attorney. Call me!
    Robert Mortland
    Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
    You have a very good defense. Talk with your attorney or the public defender about a trial strategy if the case goes that far.