What should I do when someone files a private criminal complaint against me? 2 Answers as of January 27, 2011

I walked into my fiance's house and caught her with another man in her bedroom. Now she has filed charges against me. What is the course of action? I live in Pennsylvania.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Connelly Firm P.C.
The Connelly Firm P.C. | Thomas Connelly
Sounds like she's a proponent of the "best defense is a good offense" theory. You should retain an attorney, and cancel the wedding. What is she alleging you did exactly? Burglary? Criminal Trespass? Whatever it is, the last thing you need is a criminal conviction on top of your relationship mess. If you fight, she will probably withdraw the charges.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 1/27/2011
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
You can challenge the complaint as you can argue you had consent to enter the house. Assuming the complaint is for trespass, you can argue that despite what you found her doing you had consent to enter her house. If you had a key to the house that is further proof. If there is no evidence that she revoked consent to enter your house then you have a good argument to get out of the complaint.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 1/26/2011
Click to View More Answers: