What should I do when I go to court for Marijuana Possession? 3 Answers as of April 05, 2011

I was arrested for possession of marijuana less than an ounce. I was never read my Miranda rights, but I'm not sure if that is significant or not. I am 21 years old and I have never gotten in trouble with the law before. I don't know what I should do or say when I go to my court date. I have been told to plea not guilty, but I was obviously guilty. I have also been told to plea first offense and no contest. However, I am not sure which one is best for my situation.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Harrison & Harrison
Harrison & Harrison | Samuel Harrison
First, you need a lawyer - now! If you can't afford a lawyer, ask the court to appoint one for you. Do not enter a guilty plea until you have discussed your case thoroughly with your lawyer. You may have some defenses that you do not know about, or there may be some other steps an attorney can take to help keep this arrest from damaging your future.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/5/2011
Andrew R. Lynch, P.C.
Andrew R. Lynch, P.C. | Andrew R. Lynch
This is a question you need to consult with a lawyer in private about. There is a difference in having drugs and being guilty of a drug crime. I would suggest you contact an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/4/2011
Goolsby Law Office
Goolsby Law Office | Richard Goolsby
The direct answer to your question is that you should promptly retain an experienced criminal attorney who can advise you as to your rights and options, after a careful discussion of all the facts. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/4/2011
Click to View More Answers: