What should I do when I go to court for Marijuana Possession? 7 Answers as of March 24, 2011

I got a possession of under an ounce of marijuana ticket in California the other day. However, I do have my medical marijuana card. What should I do when i go to court?

Defend the charges. Beyond that, youll have to try to negotiate a plea bargain deal with the DA, or go to trial on this. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain for you, or take it to trial. If serious about doing so, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. This is a case that can frequently result in simple drug diversion or education program, and no conviction or your record, or be dropped upon proof your card kept you within the CA law. If you showed a valid card to police at the time, you should not have been charged, so now you have to deal with a DA.
Hire an attorney. If you cannot afford to hire an attorney, ask for one when you get to court. Take your card with you to show the Public Defender.
Desert Defenders
Desert Defenders | John Jimenez
You should plead Not Guilty. It would be helpful to have an attorney represent you. If the prosecutor won't dismiss the case because of MMJ authorization, you should set it for a trial.
It would be best if you had a lawyer - the public defender if you can't afford one. The important thing is to make sure it stays a ticket (infraction). The MJ card is usually a good defense. Good luck.
Law Offices of Scott Tibbedeaux
Law Offices of Scott Tibbedeaux | Scott Tibbedeaux
If you had the card at the time your arrest occurred but did not have it on you at the time then you simply need to bring the card to court with you and the case should be dismissed.
    Tracy L Henderson, Attorney at Law
    Tracy L Henderson, Attorney at Law | Tracy L. Henderson
    Enter a plea of not guilty and set the case for a pre-trial conference. At the conference, without admitting guilt, show the DA the card and ask her/him to dismiss the case. Do not make any admissions. Just show her the paper and ask for a dismissal. If they say no, continue the conference and hire an attorney.