What should I do to protect myself in divorce? How? 13 Answers as of June 15, 2015

After our children graduate from high school, my husband has informed me that he will be seeking a divorce. He has even demanded that I get a job. I am a stay at home mom. What do I need to do to protect myself from him? Is there anything I can do at this point?

Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
How close are your children from finishing high school? What do you want to do with your life? What sort of education and training do you have? How old are you? How much does your husband make? What sort of work does he do? What assets are there? Obviously, this question does not have a simple answer as it depends upon all of the relevant facts and circumstances.
Law Office of Darin Kanfer | Darin J. Kanfer
There is not much you can do to prevent him for filing for divorce. If you have been relying on him for support, you may be able to get spousal support for a while. However, getting a job sounds like a good idea.
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
That is a complicated question. ?You should consult with a family law attorney for advice.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
I suggest you start looking for a job.if you cannot find one it will buttress your argument that he must pay alimony.
There is no easy or formula answer to such a question, since it depends on a plethora of facts which this site cannot examine. There might be a question of starting separate bank and investment accounts, possibly of removing some funds from joint accounts, etc. Starting training or education to suit you for the job market is almost certainly a good idea. If your kids are in high school, they may need your guidance, but they probably need less of your time. And of course: consult a skilled matrimonial lawyer.
    Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
    Without knowing the age of the children I cannot effectively comment. Best for now is to see an attorney.
    Meet with and develop a working relationship with an experienced family law attorney.
    Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
    The best thing for you to do (you don't say how long before the kids graduate) is to start working or go back to school to get some work skills. Unless there is a lot of community property, you will ultimately have to work and preparing for it now will be helpful.
    Attorney at Law | Aimee C. Robbins
    Hire an attorney and make sure you have copies of your tax returns, and all financial documents. Set money aside also.
    Law Offices of Robert Burns
    Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
    Get competent, prompt legal counsel. You might need to be protected from yourself instead/too.
    GordenLaw, LLC
    GordenLaw, LLC | Vanessa J. Gorden
    Gather your financial documents while they are still available to you and make an appointment with an experienced divorce attorney to make a plan to protect yourself financially during this time.
    Provda Law Firm
    Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
    You should speak with a divorce attorney. Even though you don't have your own income, your husband can be ordered to pay your attorney. Get a consultation before the whole deal starts.
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    My suggestion is that you retain an attorney to give you a consultation and let you know what your rights are. You may want to proceed with the divorce right away. You may also want to consider Mediation.