What should I do regarding my Louisiana criminal charges? 2 Answers as of February 04, 2011

In 2004 I was charged with contempt of court and sentenced to six months. This was a result of a felony criminal charge that I had previously plead not guilty to. At any rate, in 2009 I was arrested and incarcerated for 90 day before I saw anyone. I filed my own motion to current legal sentence because I was found guilty and sentenced without even being there! The court agreed, vacated the charge and recharged me. Which I was told would happen. The problem is that while I could be charged with contempt, the original charge of criminal theft exceeded the statue of limitations. They pretty much told me to plead guilty and they would let me go, or leave me in jail for another trial. They tried that 10 times in 2001 with only continuances each time. I plead guilty so maybe I could get some answers . Post conviction relief gives me 2 years. My opinion is that I gave a plea to a crime that exceeded the statue of limitation.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Bloom Legal, LLC
Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
A case as complex as yours has no simple answer. You will most likely need to hire an attorney and provide them with all of the information surrounding your various arrests and court appearances in order for them to determine your possible legal recourses. If you are seeking legal representation in this matter in the state of Louisiana, we invite you to contact our firm at the information provided on this page to schedule a free consultation.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 2/4/2011
Smith & John
Smith & John | Kenneth Craig Smith, Jr.
A plea to a crime after the running of the statute of limitations waives the objection.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 2/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: