What should I do in my immigration situation? Posted on March 17, 2011

Here is my story in a nutshell: I was in the USA for 4 years. For 2 years I was there on a J-1 visa and then I made a silly mistake and decided to stay there illegally for another 2 years. Recently I decided to come back home to Europe. At the airport I was expecting to get a stamp in my passport or at least be questioned about my illegal stay in America but none of that happened. They did not ask my I-94 back either. Now that I’m back home I was thinking that I would like to visit the States and applied for the ESTA program which would basically let me visit the US for 90 days without a visa and I got approved! I was so happy that maybe I would be able to visit this beautiful country legally and maybe have a chance to see my friends because I miss them dearly. My only question is that should I have a problem at the US port of entry because of my previous visa overstay? I just don’t understand how I was able to get approved for ESTA. I really do not know what to do. Should I book a ticket and try to visit the US? I’m afraid I will be turned back by the immigration officer. Any help would be appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read my post!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: