What should I do in Illinois if my car was involved in a hit and run? 3 Answers as of February 02, 2011

My car was parked in a parking lot while I went to do my grocery shopping. When I came out, there was a big dent on the front bumper of my car. I was so mad that I just decided to go home, and didn't call the police at the time. I've been back to the plaza since and noticed that they have security cameras in the parking lot. Is there anything I can do, now that it's 2 weeks later?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Allegretti & Associates
Allegretti & Associates | James L. Allegretti
If you have comprehensive or collision coverage you should report it to your carrier so you can get it repaired. If you do not, then ask the store how long they keep the videos. If they still have the tape from the date of your damage ask if it shows the area where you were hit. If they refuse to show you ask them to preserve it and file suit.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 2/2/2011
Peckar & Abramson, P.C.
Peckar & Abramson, P.C. | David Scriven-Young
If you haven't already, you might call your insurance company and let them know about the accident. You might have coverage so you can get your car fixed. I also think you might still file a report with the police and talk to the store about the accident and the cameras. They might be able to help you out. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 2/2/2011
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Cary J. Wintroub
Contact the police. Security cameras are often erased after a month. Alternatively you can claim the damage under your insurance policy but you will have to pay the deductible.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 2/1/2011
Click to View More Answers: