What should I do if sheriff wants to discuss a theft over the phone? 13 Answers as of December 20, 2013

A computer was reported stolen by another guest in a guest house dorm style room where I spent the night several months prior. Now the sheriff wants to question me via phone, according to my voice mail / cell phone message. Must I disclose my residence and work addresses? And what if they insist on meeting with me?

It sounds like you may be under investigation for the theft. You should never speak to the police without an attorney present. I suggest that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. (S)he would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
Once they confer with you, they can trace the call and locate you. I recommend that you NOT speak to police.
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
I would consult a criminal attorney as soon as possible
You DO NOT have to talk with them or give them a statement. You may want a lawyer with you if you meet with the police.
You have the right to remain silent. Only idiots talk to investigators/cops. Remember, no matter what you say it will be twisted around and used against you later.
    Never talk to the police or agree to talk to the police without first consulting with a lawyer. Consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney in your area to advise you what to do.
    You don't have to talk with them, and I would refuse.