What should I do if police are questioning me about an alleged sex offense from 15 years ago? 6 Answers as of February 18, 2011

Fifteen years ago I was questioned for a sex charge involving touching a 13 year old girl. I was not charged and was let go. But now the police have come back and asked me to answer more questions about this matter. What should I do?

You should not answer any questions without a lawyer!! NONE! First, the statute of limitations ran out five years after the child became an adult at 21 or even perhaps 18, so there is no basis for them to question you in good faith this long afterward. Consult with an attorney right away and have him/her address the matter with the police by giving them a directive to stop harasssing you about an ancient case like that. And, remember, do not answer any questions, regardless of how many times they come back to ask.
Law Offices of Carl Spector
Law Offices of Carl Spector | Carl Spector
You have several options.

1. You could speak with the police.
2. You could decline to speak with the police.
3. Or you could speak with the police with an attorney present.

I would suggest you consult with an attorney to discuss this matter and to discuss the statute of limitations as well.
You should never agree to talk to the police without an attorney present. You should retain an experienced criminal attorney to advise you after a consultation, but under no circumstances should you talk to anyone about any possible crime that you have committed, even if you are totally innocent. The police are allowed to lie to you, trick you, or use tactics to elicit admissions, and you are not in a position to handle the situation.Feel free to call for a consultation.
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers | Alexander Sanchez
Contact a criminal lawyer immediately before making any more statements to the police. Sounds to me like the police are investigating you for more serious charges than the 15 year old touching cases. Protect your legal rights by calling a lawyer as soon as possible.
Bruce H. Lehr, P.A.
Bruce H. Lehr, P.A. | Bruce H. Lehr
Exercise your right to remain silent and do not even talk to the police. Nothing you say can help you but may definitely hurt you.
    First this response is general information only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. However you should not answer any questions without first hiring an attorney and having the attorney present with you if decide to answer question.