What should I do if my son is accused of rape? 14 Answers as of August 14, 2013

My son is being accused of rape. He did admit that he slept with her but what happened was not a rape since the girl started it. He was 16 and the girl is 15. My son wants both of them to take a lie detector test. What should I do?

Well in Michigan 16 is the age of consent. This means even if she came on to him, it still is a crime. You should get him a lawyer.
Having consensual sexual intercourse with a person under eighteen is statutory rape. Because both your son and the girl are under eighteen, both are guilty of statutory rape. If he charged with forcible rape, the girl needs to have proof that force or fear was used to conduct the rape. In most rapes, the rape is reported soon after and a rape kit and medical exam is performed. Without this or physical injuries it is difficult to prove rape on a he said she said incident. Do not have him take a lie detector test, as they are unreliable.
The girl cannot be made to take a lie detector. The results of the lie detector typically cannot be admitted unless both the prosecutor and defense agree to the results before knowing the results, a risky proposition for your son. Your son as serious charges.
You have to get your son an Attorney. The fact the person was 15 is a valid defense against consent.
Don't mess with this case on your own. The charges/allegations are serious.
    Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman
    Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman | Ezra Goldman
    1. Don't let him make any statement, to the police or otherwise. 2. Hire a lawyer immediately. 3. Give up on the "she started it" notion. That is not a defense of any sort to rape.
    Furlong & Drewniak PLLC
    Furlong & Drewniak PLLC | Thaddeus Furlong, Esq.
    Hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer who can arrange a private polygraph.
    Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
    At this time there is not much to do. The police might do an investigation to determine what happened. If your son decides to speak with the police, his statements will be used to help with the investigation and could be used against him in Court. If an arrest is made, and he cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for him and he will have an opportunity to discuss the defenses and strategy. Good luck.
    Law Office of Marissa L. Vandersluys | Marissa Vandersluys
    If charges have been filed against your son, you should look into hiring an attorney.
    Law Office of Andrew Gable | Andrew Gable
    You should contact a lawyer before posting anything else about the case.
    William A. Siebert
    William A. Siebert | William A. Siebert
    Persons under 16 are legally incapable of "starting it." Your son is eligible for the "Romeo and Juliet" provision in the Sexual Conduct Act. Ask your son's court appointed lawyer about it.
    A lie detector result is not admissible in court. She was under age and your son is in deep trouble. You need to retain an attorney for him.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Get an attorney and have your son do a private lie detector test first and see if he passes. If so present the results to the prosecutor and then ask that the alleged victim be given a lie detector test.
    In Michigan sexual intercourse with a child under the age of 16 is statutory rape. It is raped due to the fact that the child under 16 is not able to give consent to the activity. Your son will need an attorney.