What should I do if my son accidentally scratched a car while riding bikes with his cousin? 11 Answers as of November 22, 2013

My son accidentally scratched a car at my sister-in-law's house while riding bikes with his cousin during a birthday party. I asked the guy what we should do and he just got upset and said "whatever, stuff happens" and left. Now 5 months later, he wants us to pay $1000 to fix the scratch. Do I just pay it? I asked him to contact his insurance and he said he cancelled it a month ago because he was going to put it in storage. How do I handle this?

You should pay the reasonable cost to repair the scratch and get a release. He should have an estimate for you.
Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
I would ask for copies of three bids that he got to repair the scratch and average them and offer to pay that or offer to pay what his deductible would have been after he shows you a copy of his insurance card it show list what his deductible was.
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
Work out a settlement offer less at first and demand to see estimate for repairs.
E. Ray Critchett, LLC
E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
If you think it is too expensive, have him take the vehicle to a reasonable body shop and get a written estimate from a credible shop.
Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
Depends upon the state that you are in. In some states, a parent is not liable for harm caused by a minor while off the premises and where there is no negligence of the parent involved. Additionally, a minor can not be sued directly, so the "victim" may be without a remedy. If he didn't turn the claim in to his own insurance company, that is his fault.
    Offer to pay the deductible and tell him to report it to the insurance that he had at the time of the accident.
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C.
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C. | Pete Leehey
    I would tell him to provide you with the estimate for the work, and that you will get back to him. The concern is that with the delay, you're being asked to fix something more than what your son caused. If you get the estimate, and it appears to be legitimate, I would take the estimate to an auto body shop you trust, and see if they can improve on the price. Ultimately, you are responsible for the cost of fixing the scratch your son caused, but nothing more.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    David P. Slater, esq.
    David P. Slater, esq. | David P. Slater
    Ask to see a bill.
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    Turn the claim over to your homeowners insurance. Better yet if the car owner had coverage on the date of accident he may be able too make claim even if coverage canceled after that date.
    There is something wrong here, it should have been covered 5 months ago. See an attorney before you make a settlement.
    Turn it over to your insurance company and let them handle it.