What should I do if my relative was arrested? 2 Answers as of July 21, 2010

My nephew was recently arrested for felony drug possession. With the economy the way it is, money is tight. How can we help? Will a public defender be good enough?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Joe Dane
Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane

If the accused financially qualifies, they are entitled to a public defender. There are pros and cons to the public defender's services.

The pros: you get representation if you cannot otherwise afford an attorney. They do nothing but criminal law and are in the courts every day.

The cons: they are unfortunately notoriously overworked and cannot give any one case a ton of attention. You cannot choose your attorney. You get whoever is assigned to your case. There are excellent public defenders and there are ones that are less than stellar. The same can be said with private attorneys, but with the PD, you won't get a choice in the matter. You could also be getting a brand new lawyer.

Good luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/21/2010
Law Offices of Ronald Richards & Associates
Law Offices of Ronald Richards & Associates | Ronald Richards
He should try to avoid jail time by utilizing Deferred Entry Judgment or Prop 36 to get him into a diversion/rehabilitation program instead of incarceration.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/20/2010
Click to View More Answers: