What should I do if my mom wants to give the ownership of her estate to me? 6 Answers as of April 13, 2011

If my mom wants a transfer ownership to me, her son, what should I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Apple Law Firm PLLC
Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
Be very careful and speak to someone about the adverse effects of doing this.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/12/2011
Theodore W. Robinson, P.C.
Theodore W. Robinson, P.C. | Theodore W. Robinson
Well, the first thing to do is say "Thank you." Actually, its more a question of what should she do and she should speak to an estate planning lawyer if she wants to give you everything after her passing. If she wants to give you everything now, then it will depend upon how old you are and whether you can afford the taxes on any property and a host of other things. The best thing to do is go with her to a lawyer's office and go over everything together with the attorney and make a plan on how to go about it. It depends upon what she owns as to how to direct you. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/11/2011
Law Office of Richard B. Kell
Law Office of Richard B. Kell | Richard B. Kell
First, you need to consider if that would be the ethical thing to do at this point. Is she unable to manage her estate and in need of a guardian and conservator? Do you have any siblings that would object to such a transfer or appointment? I suggest that you have your mother sit down with an estate planning or elder law attorney to determine what the best course of action would be. Otherwise, you could run into serious legal problems down the road.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 4/11/2011
Click to View More Answers: