What should I do if my husband is hiding assets during our divorce 23 Answers as of July 03, 2013

My husband is hiding assets while the divorce is being filed.

Ruiz Law Group, P.C.
Ruiz Law Group, P.C. | Frances Ruiz
Your attorney needs to do an investigation to find these assets.
You go find them, and then use that against him. Judges really, REALLY dont like people who lie to them in court or on documents. I can help you with this. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.
As part of the divorce process, your attorney may perform discovery. this allows the attorney to seek information which may allow them to locate property that is not voluntarily disclosed. For that reason, you must hire experienced legal counsel.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C. | Paul A. Eads
You should hire a PI.
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
When a spouse is hiding assets you need to move quickly to preserve the evidence. This is done through the formal and informal discovery procedures available. Waiting is the worst possible tactic. There are many ways to catch a thief, and I can help you discover the hidden assets. When you are dealing with fragile economic issues, competent legal representation should always be sought, as the subject matter of the litigation is so very important. One mistake here could cause the biggest adverse consequence of your life.
    Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
    If you can afford it, I would hire an investigator. If you are familiar with the property that he might be hiding, you should immediately file a restraining order with the Family Court to protect the assets. I would also retain the services of an attorney.
    He will be obligated to reveal any and all assets and liabilities. If he is hiding assets, this deception must be called to the courts attention.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
    You need to find, note and document everything that you possibly can.
    You need to retain a lawyer who can assist in ways to find the hidden assets because the real problem is proving what has been hidden and finding it.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    Hiding assets can be a difficult problem. You can use certain discovery techniques to try to force disclosure - interrogatories, request to produce documents, third party request to produce documents, and depositions. The difficulty can also depend on the type of asset that is being hidden. Seek the advice of the attorney representing you (and you should have an attorney to represent you) as to how best to try to deal with this issue in your specific case.
    Law Office of Cassandra Savoy
    Law Office of Cassandra Savoy | Cassandra Savoy
    Your attorney will know how to locate assets.
    We recommend you retain a divorce attorney ASAP and discuss all your rights and options. Your attorney will know how to obtain information about assets.
    Wolfstone, Panchot & Bloch, P.S., Inc.
    Wolfstone, Panchot & Bloch, P.S., Inc. | Mark Brown
    In Washington state, your attorney will be able to obtain ALL financial records. These records will likely disclose any attempts by your spouse to transfer, or conceal assets.
    Law Offices of Marshall R. Hoekel, LLC | Marshall Hoekel
    You can move for a preliminary injunction to stop it. You can also get relief through a pal motion for preliminary relief.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq. | Stephanie Lee Ehrbright
    Make sure your attorney, or the judge if you don't have one, is aware of the situation.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    You have to take steps to look for the assets based on the documentary trial that hiding the assets leaves.
    Law Office of Jennifer L. Marshall, LLC.
    Law Office of Jennifer L. Marshall, LLC. | Jennifer L. Marshall, Esq.
    If he is hiding assets while the divorce is going on you need to file a pendente lite motion (this is a motion pending the final divorce) and ask the court to order him to stop hiding assets. You could be entitled to the assets through equitable distribution, so you must protect them. If you are being represented your attorney should file the motion on your behalf. If you are representing yourself and are not comfortable with filing a motion, seek counsel.
    Odin, Feldman & Pittleman, P.C.
    Odin, Feldman & Pittleman, P.C. | Richard A. Gray
    If you haven't already done so, and it sounds from your question that you haven't, you (ir your attorney if you have one) need to propound discovery that he will answer under oath as to all assets, liabilities, income and expenses. You can also take his deposition and ask him about the suspect "hidden" assets.
    You should find them and seek an temporary order preventing what you are worried about
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    It means that you're probably going to have to hire an attorney. Trying to find hidden assets can be difficult, depending on how good a job your spouse does of hiding them. Even with an attorney, you may not always be successful. Without an attorney, you probably won't be successful.