What should I do if my husband didn't sign our divorce papers? 2 Answers as of October 15, 2012

I filed for divorce last year in 2011 in Seattle WA and I left the country for a year because my father past away. Now I would like to return to the US and now I understand my husband didn't went to court and sign on the divorce papers. What I need to do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Kate M. Forrest, PLLC
The Law Office of Kate M. Forrest, PLLC | Kate Forrest
This question should first be redirected to an immigration law attorney rather than a family law attorney, along with more details. Depending on your status-like if you didn't get a green card yet-it might be a good thing that the divorce isn't finalized yet. Make sure you are authorized to reenter the country, and then consult with a family law attorney once you get here. Your case was likely dismissed if there was no progress made for a year, so you will probably have to refile if you still want the divorce.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 10/15/2012
Wolfstone, Panchot & Bloch, P.S., Inc.
Wolfstone, Panchot & Bloch, P.S., Inc. | Mark Brown
You should contact the court and determine whether your case is still pending, or whether was dismissed during your absence. If is was dismissed, you should re-file the case and make certain your husband is property served. If the former case is still active, or once the new case is active, if your husband fails to respond to the pleadings, you can seek a Final Decree by default after the expiration of 91 days. If he does respond to your pleadings but refuses to "sign on the divorce papers", you will have to wait until your trial date to obtain your final decree.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 10/15/2012
Click to View More Answers: