What should I do if my housing unit is unlivable but the landlord will not let me move without breaking the lease? 1 Answers as of June 29, 2011

My basement is infested with snakes, and my landlord is telling me that I can move out but I will be breaking the lease. What legal moves shall I take to correct this problem? My landlord is telling me that I am wrong and they can only do so much about the problem but in order for me to be placed in another unit they will keep my deposit and I will have to give them another one for the property when the unit I live in now is clearly unlivable.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Coyle Law Office
The Coyle Law Office | T. Andrew Coyle
You should send a written notice to the landlord (and keep a copy for your records) of the problems you are having with the apartment. Also state that if the landlord does not correct the problem within 5 days (or see if your lease has a clause for how long the landlord has to correct problems), you will be moving out and expect return of your deposit. If he does not fix the problem and refuses to give back the deposit, you may need to go to small claims court to have the matter resolved.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 6/29/2011
Click to View More Answers: