What should I do if my ex-husband does not comply with our marital settlement agreement? How? 16 Answers as of June 17, 2015

What can I do if my ex-husband doesn't comply with the marital settlement agreement?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Walpole Law | Robert J. Walpole
There are a variety of legal methods to force him to comply and those are usually attorney fee situations so that you can recover some of your attorney fees. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 6/16/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Assuming the MSA was expressly included in the judgment or decree of divorce, you can bring a motion or Order to Show Cause for contempt against him.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 6/17/2015
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Assuming the settlement agreement was in writing and is part of the divorce judgmentyou can file a motion to hold him in contempt of the judgment..he could get significant penalties.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/17/2015
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
Make a motion to compel.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/17/2015
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
File a Motion to Enforce with the Judge.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/17/2015
    Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
    Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
    If the Marital Settlement Agreement is only an agreement, the remedy is a breach of contract action. If the Marital Settlement Agreement is attached to a filed Judgment, therefore becoming a Judgment the non compliance to the Judgment may be a contempt of court. Then a contempt proceeding can be brought to give the husband a choice of compliance, community service, or jail time, which may also bring an award of attorney fees and costs for this procedure.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/17/2015
    Attorney at Law | Aimee C. Robbins
    You file Motion to Enforce the Agreement, i.e. Motion for Contempt.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland
    Replied: 6/17/2015
    Provda Law Firm
    Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
    Then you need to file a petition for the court to order his compliance.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 6/17/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Get an attorney and attempt to enforce it.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 6/17/2015
    Law Office of Christine Contreras | Christine Contreras
    You go to court and file a petition for rule to make him comply and if he doesn't the court will hold him in contempt.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 6/17/2015
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    You file what is called a contempt or show cause action.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 6/17/2015
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney