What should I do if my ex husband is non compliant to our divorce agreement? 1 Answers as of July 12, 2011

My ex-husband was to assume the debt of a car loan. He has been consistently late resulting in a negative report to my credit score. I contacted the loan company and they said that the only way to get my name off the account is to have him come in and apply for credit in his own name. He refuses. I am in the process of buying my first home and have worked very hard on paying all my bills on time. Because of his late payments to the account my credit score went from a 742 to 602 in a matter of 5 months. I am now at risk of losing the short sale home and don't know what I should do? Please help me

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
First, you will need to read your divorce judgment to see if it says your former spouse is required to remove your name from the car debt. If it does not say that, then you should notify all credit reporting agencies that the divorce judgment requires your ex to pay the debt and you didn't know he was late with his payments. You may have to pay the debt off and then have your ex pay you monthly payments. You could also sue your ex for damaging your credit rating if you don't get the same interest rate on the new home.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 7/12/2011
Click to View More Answers: