What should I do if my ex is behind in spousal support payments? 6 Answers as of April 09, 2013

We divorced on December 23 2009 in California. He has not paid the half of the spousal support payment yet, and it's behind for over 2 years. What should I do?

Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
You need to take him back and get a wage withholding order and get a writ and take money from his bank account if you know where it is.
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson | John F. Nicholson
You need to file an action ASAP for arrears in spousal support. If you wait too long you will waive your right to all of that money. Also, you can get an order to reaffirm his obligation to make the monthly payments, and if not, he can be held in contempt which includes severe penalties. You have the needed orders, you have to get the court to further enforce them.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
If he has a job get a wage assignment for current and past due support. If he does not have a job but is self-employed, meet with a family law attorney in your area to look into putting him in jail for contempt. There are other remedies a good family law attorney can help you with. You will need a lawyer to handle the contempt.
LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
File a motion for arrearages and request attorney fees. However after getting the order you still have to try to enforce it by attaching his wages etc.
Return to court on an enforcement motion.
    Rebecca Rainwater
    Rebecca Rainwater | Rebecca Rainwater
    You can file contempt. The court finds out why your spouse did not obey the court order. Judge generally orders the person to immediately pay or face jail time.