What should I do if my lawyer settled my case using the wrong law? 1 Answers as of April 20, 2011

My lawyer that I had in my auto accident that another driver hit my car and that guys insurance company took the blame but they said my insurance company had to pay my medical payments so everything went out good my lawyer at the end settled with the other guys insurance company and I asked my lawyer so everything has been paid to the appropriate people he said yes, and my insurance company said that my lawyer gave them the wrong law that stated since we settled our accident after sep 2009 we do not have to pay back the insurance company if our settlement is below 20,000, now after a year of settlement my insurance company is coming after me for 2,000 for medical payments. Now my lawyer is saying he dont want nothing to do with the case all he will do is be a witness saying that what he nows about the law. What should I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein
Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein | Neal L. Weinstein
Generally you are required to pay back your own insurance company for medical expenses they paid you while the claim was paying. This is called subrogation.

However, you can deduct 1/3 of the expense they are seeking as your attorney obtained the money and you paid him the 1/3 fee. If your attorney fails to respond to you, you can report her to the Board of Overseers in Augusta.
Answer Applies to: Maine
Replied: 4/20/2011
Click to View More Answers: