What should I do if I'm being sued? 22 Answers as of April 01, 2013

I got in a car accident and I'm being sued. My name and my father's name was on the car. The other party are suing me for $45,000.

Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
First, contact your insurance company to defend you. If it won't do so, sue it for bad faith.
Law Office of Christian Menard
Law Office of Christian Menard | Christian Menard
Both the driver and owner of a vehicle involved in an accident are liable for all injuries and damages caused by the negligent vehicle. However, by statute, the owner's liability (assuming the owner was not the driver) is limited to $15,000.00. I suggest you turn the matter over to your insurance carrier. If you did not have insurance on the car at the time of the accident, then hire a good attorney.
Turn it over to your insurance company to defend. That's why God made insurance.
Law Offices of Mark West
Law Offices of Mark West | Mark West
If you had insurance on your vehicle you should immediately get in contact with your insurance company and get them a copy of the summons and complaint so they can assign an attorney to defend you. (part of the agreement of insurance) If you did not have insurance, you should either contact and hire an attorney to handle your defense and try to negotiate with the person, or you will have to act as your own attorney, filing a responsive pleading to the complaint in a timely fashion, etc.
Give the papers to your auto insurance.
    Simpson Law Office, PLLC | Alexander J. Simpson, III
    Notify your insurance company immediately. Assuming you had insurance at the time of the accident, the insurance company should provide a lawyer to defend you in the lawsuit.
    James L. Daniels Attorney at Law L.L.C. | James Louis Daniels
    Turn the matter over to your insurance carrier. It will defend you at no cost.
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC | Bruce A. Curry
    Turn the claim into your insurance company for a defense. If neither you nor your father were insured, then you can either hire an attorney to defend you or try to work out a settlement with the other party before you have to hire an attorney.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    You should immediately turn over the suit papers to your and your father's auto insurance company. They should decide which of them should defend and then defend you without any cost to you. There are duties of prompt reporting written into most policies, so you need to read the policy(ies) and be sure you comply with the reporting requirements so any duty to defend you is not jeopardized.
    Sarrail, Castillo & Hall, LLP | Monica Castillo
    you should contact your insurance company to see if they will provide a lawyer to defend you.
    Law Office of Ernest J. Bauer, Jr., LLC | Ernest J. Bauer, Jr.
    Contact your insurance company.
    Notify your insurance company. If you were uninsured call an attorney.
    You should have insurance on your car. The insurance company will defend you in that suit. Let the insurance company know you've been sued right away. Your insurance company will provide you with a lawyer and pay any judgment against you up to the limits of your policy. Good luck.
    Law Offices of Tanya Gendelman, P.C.
    Law Offices of Tanya Gendelman, P.C. | Tanya Gendelman, Esq.
    You need to contact your auto insurance company right away.
    Paul A. Lauto, PLLC
    Paul A. Lauto, PLLC | Paul A. Lauto
    You should notify your insurance company immediately, who will likely appoint counsel to represent you at no charge to you.
    Robert Kubler | Robert Kubler
    Get a lawyer and if you have car insurance tell them.
    Your insurance company will take care of it.