What should I do if I was rear-ended and the driver has no insurance? 5 Answers as of March 07, 2011

I was rear-ended when I was stopped at a traffic light, but driver does not have insurance, and the registration reflects his mother has the owner of the vehicle that struck me. My insurance is covering medical and vehicle repair (over $4,000). My wife (Pregnant) was transported by an ambulance to Palmetto Hospital. My wife and I are under therapy. What should I do?

Kirshner & Groff
Kirshner & Groff | Richard M. Kirshner
See if the mother has insurance or if you have uninsured motorist coverage on your policy you may be able to make a claim.
Check to see if you have uninsured motorist insurance on any car owned by anyone in your household (a resident relative). If so, you can make a claim through your own insurance company under the uninsured motorist coverage.
Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
Hire a personal injury attorney. If the owner of the vehicle has insurance then you will have a claim against her insurance. If you have uninsured motorist insurance (UM) policy on your ca then you can pursue a claim against your own insurance.
David B. Sacks, P.A.
David B. Sacks, P.A. | David Sacks
There are two other issues: First, do you carry uninsured motorist coverage? And Second, do you know if the owner of the car has any insurance? The owner is just as liable for any damages caused by one who is permitted to drive the vehicle.
Law Offices of Joseph I. Lipsky, P.A.
Law Offices of Joseph I. Lipsky, P.A. | Joseph Lipsky
Sorry to hear of your situation. Assuming you have uninsured motorist coverage on your own auto policy, then you and your wife can make a claim against your own policy.