What should I do if I was questioned for a hit and run? 4 Answers as of June 29, 2011

I was questioned, but not ticketed, for a hit and run incident. I pulled out of a parking space and apparently hit a car. I didn't feel or hear anything. There is no damage to my vehicle. If I did this, I want to do the right thing. The cop told me that the damage to the vehicle was minimal and there were no injuries. What can I expect? I am really scared. The cop told me that he was going to type up his report and send it to the prosecutor, and that I would be hearing from the prosecutor. There were witnesses. What should I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Andersen Law PLLC
Andersen Law PLLC | Craig Andersen
First off, stop talking to the police. Their job is to build a case against you and in no way help you. The good news is it is a defense to hit and run if you were unaware of the contact. As long as you can convince a jury, you should be acquitted. Another non-criminal option is what is called a Compromise of Misdemeanor. You can pay restitution to the other party and get him or her to sign a statement saying they were compensated and wish no further action on the case. Given the complexity of these issues, you would do well to retain an attorney who has been steeped in criminal law. I have practiced criminal law for 20 years. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to give me a call.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/29/2011
Law Office of Andrew Subin
Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
If you did not know that you were in a collision, you are not guilty of hit and run. If I were you, I would offer to pay for the damages to the vehicle you hit, and hopefully no charges will be filed. If they do file hit and run charges against you, do not make any statements to any police, and contact a good attorney.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/28/2011
Mercado & Hartung
Mercado & Hartung | Stephanie Hartung
The prosecutor will determine whether to file hit & run charges. If they do, you should hire an attorney to help defend those charges. Your attorney will be able to analyze the evidence and negotiate with the prosecutor on your behalf. It is likely that if you don't have any criminal history, there was limited damage, and no injuries your attorney can resolve your case favorably. There is nothing you can do to dissuade the prosecutor from filing charges, that decision is simply a matter of discretion. The prosecutor has two years to file charges, however, most charges are filed within 3-6 months (sooner in some courts). Feel free to call for more information.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/28/2011
Eric J Schurman, Attorney at Law
Eric J Schurman, Attorney at Law | Eric James Schurman
There's not a lot you can do at this point. Do not make any further statement about the incident. If/when you get a notice to appear for court, give me a call.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/28/2011
Click to View More Answers: