What should I do if I was involved in a car accident? 2 Answers as of July 26, 2011

On June 23rd of this year I was involved in an accident where I rear-ended another vehicle on my way to work. I made the mistake of assuming the vehicle in front of me was going to turn right, but did not. I was traveling too quickly to stop, and rear-ended him pretty hard. I had stayed up the entire night before at a friend’s, trying to fix his computer, so my judgment was off. It was fast and hard enough to break my seat belts locking mechanism, deploy my passenger side airbag, but due to a flaw, not deploy my air bag. On top of already being tired, this lapse in judgment threw me into shock. There was an officer near us that quickly pulled over to assist us. He asked if we needed medical assistance, and I told him that my chest hurt, so he called for an ambulance and told me to sit on the curb. I can’t recall with 100% certainty, but I believe he asked me if I was on something. I know that I was asked it by one of the officers, but I can’t recall exactly when. I denied the allegation, and told them no. I don’t recall whether or not I told them I had been up all night. A few minutes later the ambulance arrived and checked me over. While I was with the paramedics, an officer that had arrived at the scene asked for my license information since I had accidently left my wallet at my house the night before. After the paramedics cleared me, one of the officers asked me to follow him outside to perform a sobriety test. During the test, one of the other officers asked me if I had my insurance card on me. I told him it was in my glove box. I did not state to him that he could access my vehicle and get it, but just where it was. I had planned on getting that as soon as I had a free minute to do so. As for the sobriety test, the only thing I had a problem with was the balancing test where they ask you to hold one foot in the air for thirty seconds. I passed the test. I then went over to the other driver to apologize to him and the coworker that had driven over.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
Consult with a local defense personal injury attorney and also inform your insurance company of the accident, if you haven't already done so.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 7/26/2011
Click to View More Answers: