What should I do if I was charged with possession of cocaine? 2 Answers as of July 29, 2010

I was arrested last weekend for possession of cocaine. This is the first time I have ever been arrested. I can't have this on my record. Is there any way I can keep this off my record?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Juan Dotson
Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
You should immediately consult with an attorney about this matter. If you cannot afford an attorney, you will have to wait until you are assigned one by the court. Your attorney can go over the facts of the case and help you determine whether or not you would be eligible for deferred entry of judgment (PC 1000) or Proposition 36. Most drug cases involve search and seizures; an experienced attorney may be able to suppress the illegally obtained evidence (drugs) by writing a motion to the court.

Cocaine and heroin possession are felonies in California; the sentencing range may be: probation and no jail, probation and jail, or state prison up to 3 years.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/29/2010
Steven Mandell
Steven Mandell | Law Offices of Steven Mandell
Depending on the facts of the case, you could avoid a permanent conviction if you were granted deferred entry of judgment. Whether that's possible or not is dependent on all of the facts of the case. An experienced criminal attorney can help you tremendously here. Most lawyers give free legal consultations. If you'd like to speak to me about this matter, don't hesitate to contact me.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/28/2010
Click to View More Answers: