What should I do if I was arrested for marijuana? 3 Answers as of July 14, 2010

I got pulled over for speeding. When the officer came over to my, he said that he could smell marijuana in the car. He asked if he could search and I let him. He found a small bag of marijuana and I was arrested. This is my first offense. What should I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Hale Law Group
Hale Law Group | Joshua D. Hale
You need to hire an attorney immediately. This is not a laughing matter. An attorney may be able to mitigate your damages by finding inconsistencies in the reports, as well as negotiate with the prosecutor to a lower charge. My office handles these matters regularly throughout the state of California, if you need further help, please contact me directly.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/14/2010
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
Unless you know how to effectively represent yourself in all this, hire an attorney who does. The conventional wisdom is that the attorney will be able to get you a better deal than you could on your own, or effectively try the case if forced to that. That is what you are paying for.

If serious about hiring counsel, and if this case is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.

If not, then go to your Arraignment hearing and plead not guilty. Youll be provided a copy of all the police reports and charging Complaint. There youll have to set a date for Pre-Trial hearing where negotiations with the DA are first conducted. If the case is not plea bargained, it will be set for Trial. Prior to that, youll file any appropriate Motions.

Generally, if you are charged with simple possession of small amounts, and it is your first offence, your attorney may be able to get you a drug diversion program that avoids jail and conviction.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/13/2010
Law Office of Joe Dane
Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
There are several options available to first-time offenders, especially a simple possession of marijuana case. A diversion or other non-conviction alternative should be a distinct possibility for you in Orange County, California.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/13/2010
Click to View More Answers: