What should I do if I thought I was divorced but am not? How? 10 Answers as of June 15, 2015

I thought I was divorced and it has been 17 years. I am married now for 1 year and apparently I was not previously divorced. What should I do? We have not spoken to each other for 17 years.

Law Office of Darin Kanfer | Darin J. Kanfer
You should get divorced now. Perhaps you could complete the divorce that may have been started previously.
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
Consult with a family law attorney to unravel this mess.
It seems very strange that you thought were divorced but were not. What on earth happened, or failed to happen, during the original divorce proceedings? In any case, the best course of action is to consult an experienced family law attorney. I think he or she will recommend that you start a divorce proceeding against your estranged spouse ASAP. Once it is completed, no one is likely to charge you with bigamy.
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
You need to see an attorney immediately. Take them any paperwork you have.
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
Get divorced. It should be fairly simple after all this time since it's doubtful there are any property issues. Then you need to marry to make the marriage legal since it is non existent now as it is illegal.
    How can you think you were divorced? You are, or you are not, no thought process involved. If you are still legally married to the person you allege you thought you were divorced from, then your current marriage is VOID, Ab initio!!!
    Law Offices of Robert Burns
    Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
    You need a lawyer to determine what went wrong and to get the divorce entered retroactively to before your current "marriage"; otherwise, you'll current "marriage" is void and will have to be replaced with a post-divorce valid marriage.
    GordenLaw, LLC
    GordenLaw, LLC | Vanessa J. Gorden
    You will need to get divorced and remarried. Currently, what you are doing is bigamy. You should visit with an attorney to find out how to rectify this with the least consequences.
    You need to contact their experienced family law attorney to initiate and complete this divorce action. Your current marriage is not valid. However, the situation can be remedied.
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    You do have 2 issues. Because you're not yet divorced your second marriage is not legal. Therefore what you need to do is divorced the first husband and then remarried a second. Was it regarding the first one you can file your papers and serve the first husband had any time to get your divorce.