What should I do if I reported my motorcycle missing and it was actually taken by my cousin but I don't want him to get in trouble? 33 Answers as of September 14, 2012

I thought someone stole my motorcycle so I made a police report. Now I find out that my cousin has taken it on vacation! He used the key to take it and I don't want him to get in trouble.

Anderson Law Office
Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
Call the police and explain the misunderstanding.
Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
If the poice believe that you made an honest mistake, it may go away.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
Are you sure that maybe you did allow him to use it and forgot. If not, tell the police the truth and advise you do not want to press charges.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
If your cousin did not have permission, don't be the "boy who cried wolf" in case he does it again.
You could call the cops and say you have located the vehicle and wish to withdraw the stolen bike report
    Go to the police and tell them what you found out.
    Law Office of Michael E. Dailey
    Law Office of Michael E. Dailey | Michael E. Dailey
    You need to notify the police the bike has been located and to withdraw any bulletins describing it as stolen. Your cousin could find himself in jail several states away on a criminal charge of possessing stolen property, grand theft or tampering with a motor vehicle by operating without owners consent.
    Discuss these facts with the prosecutor, and ask him to have the charges dismissed, because of your mistaken belief that the cycle was stolen, where it was merely used by your cousin. The decision to drop, however, will be the prosecutor's to make.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    You cannot lie to the police but you need to report that you recovered it so that they take it off the computer as stolen. It sounds like a misunderstanding to me.
    Withdraw the criminal charges and say you just found out he borrowed it and you don't mind.
    Law Office of Ronald G. Draper | Ronald G. Draper
    Just tell the police you were mistaken.
    Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
    You need an attorney to help you as a false report is crime of itself.
    Tell the police you recovered the bike and drop the report.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    File another police report stating what you have learned since the first one. Report your new found knowledge immediately.
    Healan Law Offices
    Healan Law Offices | William D. Healan, III
    I would just call the police back and tell them that you made a mistake and the motorcycle was not stolen, that your cousin had borrowed it and you did not realize where it was, but that he has permission to borrow it when he wants to.
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
    If you don't tell the police you could be charged with insurance fraud.
    You should report your error to the police or risk being charged with making a false police report.
    Tell the police that your cousin borrowed it and you did not know this.
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
    Tell the police you have located the motorcycle and that the person who had it had your permission.
    Probably best that you retain an attorney so they can make an explanation to the authorities as to what happened. You will be throughly scrutinized by the police and most uncomfortable if you try to offer an explanation.
    Go to the police and let them know that you made a mistake. Sorry.
    You should tell the police that your cousin had permission to use the bike but he neglected to tell you he took it on that occasion and let them know that you do not want them to arrest him and that he took the key like he usually did when he wanted to borrow the bike. Then call your cousin and let him know that what he did was wrong. You should never give a vehicle that is insured in your name to anyone for any reason. You are liable if he kills or injures someone and you are the one who will be liable for a million dollars. Motorcycles are death traps and drivers don't see them and run them into poles. Even the best riders get injured very seriously and all you have to do is hit a tire, a rock, a pothole, or an animal any you are roadkill.
    Barbara Fontaine, Esquire | Barbara Fontaine
    This should be easy. Just go to the police station and tell them that you cycle was not stolen, but your cousin borrowed it and now you have it back.
    Contact the police and explain to them what happened. You should be ok. I presume that it was an innocent mistake.
    Notify the police it is not stolen, and you are now aware it is being used by a party with permission.
    Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
    Immediately call the law enforcement agency and explain that you gave your cousin a key and told him he could use your bike, and he did that without telling you first so you thought someone had stolen your bike. Actually, though, your cousin had borrowed it with your implied permission, and you are sorry for the false alarm. Apologize sincerely.
    T.K. Byrne | Timothy K. Byrne
    Report you found the bike and circumstances that caused you to think the bike was stolen.
    Go back to the police and explain to them that you just discovered that your motorcycle was "borrowed" by your cousin. This should keep both you and your cousin out of trouble.
    Ryan Maesen PLC | Ryan Maesen
    Make sure he gives it back.
    Lee Law Group | Ernest Lee
    Cal the police and explain what happened. This happens all the time. If you didn't file a false police statement you are OK.
    Law Office of Evan E. Zelig
    Law Office of Evan E. Zelig | Evan E. Zelig
    If you filed the police report, but then realized your motorcycle was not actually stolen, but instead is being used with your permission by your cousin, then you should call the police agency where you filed the report and let them know. As long as your cousin has your permission to use the vehicle then it will not be considered a theft if you report that your cousin took it with your permission.
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    You need to contact the police and tell them what happened and it was not stolen and you just found out what happened. The danger you face is a charge of a false police report, you might want a lawyer to talk for you.
    Update your police report. But bear in mind, without asking, your cousin still committed a felony.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney