What should I do if I received a motion and summons for probation violation? 10 Answers as of August 08, 2013

I missed my one day drug class. I made another appointment, and missed again. I've been issued a motion and summons regarding probation violation. All fines and costs are paid, have had no trouble since original date. Scheduled to appear on 8/21/2013. I'm an author speaker with events scheduled that week, but now jail time is possible. I don't know what to do or expect.

Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
Retain an attorney. That is the best thing you can do for a favorable outcome. My office offers free telephone consultation.
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman | Ezra Goldman
Why do you keep missing the class? Schedule it again.
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
Your lawyer should be able to reschedule your appearance to accommodate your schedule and work out a disposition that avoids jail time. It is far safer to allow your lawyer to do this for several reasons. One is that the court will generally allow a change of date to accommodate a lawyer's schedule where they will not often accommodate the needs of a probationer. Furthermore, anything that you say to your probation officer or anyone else can be used against you in court. Your lawyer should know what can be said without incriminating you. Please be advised that all answers provided online are for the purpose of general legal information only and do not constitute specific legal advice and do not establish an attorney client relationship. Furthermore, all information provided pertains to Massachusetts law only and should not be construed to have any relevance to issues or laws of any state but Massachusetts.
You had better set up another class time and go no matter what. Otherwise you could end up having a several month all expenses paid vacation in a county jail.
Jail time is possible. So, you need to have a retained attorney accompany you when you explain to the judge you are too busy for drug classes.
    You can try calling the court to see if you can get the court date rescheduled. If not, you are going to have to appear. If you don't appear, a warrant will issue.
    You need to show up for the hearing. Failing to do so will result in a bench warrant being issued for your arrest. If you can take the drug class before the hearing, that would be in your benefit. The court does not care that you are a speaker and have events schedule for that week. You must show up.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    The first appearance is typically an advisement and setting of a hearing. You may be able to move this initial hearing by contacting the court (if necessary). You can hire a lawyer to help you with the process. I would reschedule the drug class and get it down as soon as possible. That will probably be the best way to help yourself.
    Get an attorney and see if it is possible to move the date. The Court is not interested in excuses, it is interested in compliance. Get to the class and hire an attorney or you will most probably be jailed.
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
    Jail time is possible. You should talk to a lawyer.