What should I do if I owe unemployment? 2 Answers as of May 31, 2011

I collected a months worth of checks after starting a part time job. I received a letter saying I owe them and they want me to call and make a statement. I dont mind paying the money back, but want to avoid any legal trouble. What should i tell them

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
David B. Sacks, P.A.
David B. Sacks, P.A. | David Sacks
Simply try to make a payment plan or if they won't accept a payment plan, somehow get the money to pay them back as soon as possible. You are deemed to know that you are supposed to report all earnings each reporting period.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/31/2011
Rice & Co., LPA
Rice & Co., LPA | Kollin Rice
You should probably not make any statements without first consulting a lawyer. If you failed to report employment, you may be guilty of unemployment fraud. Any conversations with unemployment personnel should be limited to negotiating a payment schedule. (Or, if you can, pay back the full amount right away.) If you work out a payment schedule and follow through with it, there is a good chance that you will avoid prosecution for fraud, and even if you are prosecuted, full repayment will likely minimize any punishment you might face.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 5/31/2011
Click to View More Answers: