What should I do if I lost the receipt for I-130 visa? 5 Answers as of May 23, 2011

What should I do to re-obtain the receipt number for form I-130 (petition for my married daughter). I am a us citizen. Thanks.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
You should file a Freedom of Information Act. (FOIA) I have been practicing for over 15 years. Our immigration law firm has been in the immigration field for more than 45 years. We have handled cases with experience, integrity, and good effect. We offer payment plans with no interest.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/23/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
If you know the receipt number of the approved I-130, then you should be able to get a copy through an I-824 application. If that fails, then you can try the G-639 FOIA request and see what happens. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/18/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
You should make and INFOPASS appointment at your local USCIS office. You can make the appointment by going to USCIS.gov and following the instructions on how to make the appointment. When you go to the appointment make sure that you can provide the officer with your full name, date of birth, and "A" number (if you were not born in the US), along with your daughter's full name and date of birth. With that information they should be able to give you the Receipt number and tell you the status of the I-130 petition. If it was approved and you need a copy of the approval notice you can then file Form I-824 to obtain a duplicate approval notice.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/18/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
You can do a FOIA request with DHS or contact their 800 number. www.uscis.gov. If you still have your cancelled check from the original filing- your bank will have a copy- look on back. It will give you the receipt number and date of filing
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/18/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Call the USCIS customer service 800-375-5283. I am not sure someone can help you, but it is free and you do not have to drive anywhere. If this doesn't work, schedule in Infopass at your local USCIS office. Enter USCIS.gov and click on the Infopass link. An Infopass is an apt you schedule with the local office. You can speak to an information officer who will look in the computer and check for any paperwork you might have filed. You go there in person and bring your naturalization document with you. (It contains your alien number and this will help the officer). Once you have your case number, ask for the status. It may be approved. If so, file I-824 to get a duplicate copy. You must pay some filing fee and wait a few months to receive your duplicate. If your case is not yet approved, get the case # and write to the Service Center where the case is pending: Make sure to let them know of your address, especially if you have moved. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: