What should I do if I just checked my credit report and it looks like no discharge papers have been filed? 11 Answers as of September 26, 2016

I filed my Chapter 13 bankruptcy in 2014. Shouldn't my attorney have done this after my court hearing?

Robert Louque | Robert Louque
If you filed a Chapter 13 bankruptcy in 2014 your case is not discharged unless all your debt is paid off 100%. Your attorney is not responsible for reporting a discharge to the credit bureaus. That information is usually updated from the public records.
R. Steven Chambers PLLC | R. Steven Chambers PLLC
It depends on how long your plan is. The minimum is three years. It's only been two years since you filed your Chapter 13. You won't get a discharge until you complete your plan payments.
Chapter 13 bankruptcies can take up to 60 months. The discharge won't be issued until the plan has been successfully completed or a termination has been approved by the court.
I am amazed that you believe that your attorney has the power to issue you a Chapter 13 discharge after only two years. Or even at ALL! The Court, not your attorney, DISCHARGES debts. In a Chapter 13, you might be able to get a discharge after 3 years after completing your PLAN, but most people are not eligible for a discharge in Chapter 13 until 5 years have elapsed.
The two matters are separate. You can notify the credit bureaus and include confirmation paperwork.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    If you are still making payments you don't have a discharge until it is complete.
    Generally it takes at least three years from the date of filing for a discharge to enter, unless it is a 100% plan.
    No. If you have completed the plan and have a discharge the credit reporting company is supposed to pick that up.
    No, you have 36 to 60 months to complete prior to Discharge.
    It is not generally the lawyer's job to file any document with the credit reporting bureaus. In some federal districts the first chapter 13 trustee does that; in others he or she does not. Why not get hold of the discharge order (which is not hard), and send a copy to each of the credit reporting bureaus? Perhaps if you requested your bankruptcy lawyer will attend to it.
    Marc S. Stern
    Marc S. Stern | Marc S. Stern
    Chapter 13's are 3 to 5 years long. The discharge does not get entered until it is finished.