What should I do if I have a warrant out in a different state than the one I'm living in? 12 Answers as of March 19, 2013

Should I drive back to the state where the warrant is and turn myself in there? Or, should I turn myself in to the state where I am currently living? I am worried that if I get pulled over and they see that I have a warrant out, I am going to get into more trouble. I feel like they are going to think I am trying to run away or something.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
You must go to the state and the court where the warrant was issued in order to take care of it.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/19/2013
Prater, Duncan & Craig, LLC
Prater, Duncan & Craig, LLC | John D Duncan
If you get pulled in your home state, the officer could bring you in based upon the out-of-state warrant and have you transported to the jurisdiction of the warrant. You are better off going to the origination point of the warrant and turning yourself in there.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 3/19/2013
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
Practices vary from state to state and even with in regions of a single state. You need someone who is familiar with the local practices. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 3/19/2013
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Get an attorney in the State where the warrant is from. Go with that lawyer and turn your self in.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/19/2013
Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
Not all warrants are nationwide. The more serious offense, the more likely it will be nationwide. Often, traffic and even DUI cases are not nationwide. You should be able to call the clerk of the court where the case is and ask about the amount of the warrant and whether it is nationwide or statewide. Just say you want to get it resolved, but need to know if you should turn yourself in where you live or return to the home state. If the clerk is mean, they might not give you the info. Be polite and you will get further. Sometimes, a lawyer can help you deal with a case without your return to the state. It depends on the type of case.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 3/19/2013
    Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
    You should contact an attorney in the city and state where the warrant was issued. (S)he would be in a better position to advise you of your options.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/19/2013
    Beaulier Law Office
    Beaulier Law Office | Maury Beaulier
    You should retain counsel in the state where the offense is charged and determine if the water rant can be stayed pending an appearance.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 3/19/2013
    Lawrence Lewis
    Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
    You can turn yourself in in the state were the warrant was taken, or wait until you are arrested.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 3/18/2013
    Patrick Earl Attorney
    Patrick Earl Attorney | Patrick Owen Earl
    You need to consult with an attorney in person or on the phone in order for him/her to figure out what the best course of action is on your matters. I can help you if your matter is in Washington State. Contact me. It depends on whether we are talking about a district court warrant or a superior court warrant? What type of case and the status of the case. Again if this is a Washington State matter I can help.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 3/18/2013
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
    You need to retain an attorney in the county where the warrant has been issued. They can file a Motion to recall the Warrant and schedule a hearing where you would turn yourself in and bond out the same day usually. It does depend on the crime you committed as well. Any com way, most often the attorney can get the warrant pulled without you spending any time in jail. If you get arrested on the warrant you will have to wait to see the Judge.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 3/18/2013
    Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
    Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
    It depends upon what the charge is, the reason for the warrant, and what court the warrant is issued out of. I can't answer without knowing this.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 3/18/2013
    Rizio & Nelson
    Rizio & Nelson | John W. Bussman
    Talk to a lawyer in the state that issued the warrant. A lawyer might be able to appear in court for you in that state without you even being personally present.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/18/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney