What should I do if I have two social security cards? 5 Answers as of January 10, 2011

If I got my social security card, could I apply for financial aide for school? And also I have two social security cards, one from when my brother tried to apply for me back in 1986 and I just recently got another one when I got married to apply for permanent residence. What do I do? I want to use my new one since it is new and get rid of the old one. But I went to school with the old one. It will seem like I am brand new to this world with a whole new identity. What do I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
Use the new one, and file all your tax returns and other information using that one. Since there was an earlier attempt, by your brother, in which you did not get a green card but did get a work authorization with a social security number, it may have been terminated when you were denied your adjustment of status application (if you went that far). However, on any applications that require disclosure of both social security numbers, report factually, attach documents showing how you got the first card, and that it was used for legal purposes. Best to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/10/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
Go to the Social Security office with both cards and numbers and they will merge the two accounts for you so you get proper credit toward your retirement and advise you which number to use going forward. We would be happy to assist you in the process of applying for permanent residency through your marriage. Send me an email and I will send you the documents to get your case on file. If already on file then you will need to notify USCIS once your social security issue is resolved and make sure you have the correct number on your driver's license, with your employer, etc.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/29/2010
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
Go to the Social Security office to correct the problem.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 12/28/2010
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
You shouldn't have applied for a second one if the first one was legitimate. You need to address it with SSA
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/27/2010
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Are they the same number? If the number is the same, there is no issue here. If not, you may want to clarify with social security administration to avoid future problem.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/27/2010
Click to View More Answers: