What should I do if I have not received information from my tax audit? 4 Answers as of January 24, 2011

I had custody of my children and filed my 2000 tax returns and was audited and turned in all of the required information and still have not been notified of the details of any decision.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Harry Gordon Oliver II
Law Office of Harry Gordon Oliver II | Harry Gordon Oliver II
Call the IRS auditor, but no news is generall good news.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/24/2011
Givner & Kaye
Givner & Kaye | Bruce Givner
You should talk to your CPA who should have handled the audit for you. You should not handle an IRS audit by yourself.

What would I do if it were me? Since I know that I pay all of my taxes and do not take inappropriate deductions, I would contact the auditor and find out what the result was. Personally I would not let sleeping dogs lie. The IRS may claim it sent you a notice. If you did not receive it then there may be interest running.

I can assure you that others would advise you differently, that if you are absolutely certain that did you did not receive a notice, do not contact the IRS because the statute of limitations on the IRS may now have passed, or will pass before the IRS figures it out. They would advise you that because they are not sure that you pay all of your taxes and have not taken inappropriate deductions.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/17/2011
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
Generally, if you were audited you should contact the agent who is handling the case. You do not state how long you have been waiting, but if it is a very long time (like a year or so) you may have a deeper problem. When an auditor suspects fraud, a case can be put in limbo and is referred to the criminal investigation division (CID) of the IRS. You have not given enough facts to tell if this is the case. You should probably at least discuss this matter with a tax attorney in your area.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 1/14/2011
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
It is most likely a settled matter. You can call the IRS to see what happened but more likely than not it is a settled matter.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 1/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: