What should I do if I have been served with a summons and claim for an accident? 4 Answers as of March 18, 2014

I rear ended someone who in turn rear ended the vehicle in front of her. This happened 8 months ago on a local street not a highway. The first car was a livery cab with a pregnant passenger. She is claiming permanent injuries, negligence and recklessness on my part. Middle car claimed no medical damages. I am scared that this will go to court or if settled, above my policy limits. The owner of the middle car is named in the suit as well. I have no assets other than my car, I rent, not own. The emergency medical technician that arrived on the scene told me that the impact from the middle car was not enough to do any real damage. The pregnant passenger from the livery cab was ambulatory before the ambulance arrived, then taken on a stretcher with a mask over her face to the hospital. All three cars drove away after dealing with the police. I received no summonses at the scene. My insurer told me this was not a major accident. I am so sick over this. I have been told that this is common in New York City.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Paul A. Lauto, PLLC
Paul A. Lauto, PLLC | Paul A. Lauto
If you receive a Summons or are served with any papers, you must immediately forward it to your insurance company and report it to them. If you are sued, they will appoint attorneys to defend you at no charge to you. If you are concerned about a judgment against you in excess of your policy limits, you may retain an additional personal attorney to represent you at your own cost. Every case is different, however most cases do resolve within the policy limits. If you want a more accurate opinion as to the risk involved, you may call for an appointment as you would need to provide additional details and copies of specific litigation papers.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/18/2014
Hein, Waters & Klein
Hein, Waters & Klein | Irwin G. Klein
Submit the summons & complaint to your Insurance Company immediately. Not to your broker if you have one but directly to the company. Use a method like Fed Ex or Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested so you have confirmation that the company received the documents.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/17/2014
Do not lose sleep over it; let the insurance company and their attorneys take care of it, and they will.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/17/2014
Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
You turn all the paperwork you receive over to the insurance company and let their lawyers handle it. That is why you pay insurance. Since you don't have any assets, I doubt they will go after anything more than the policy.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/17/2014
Click to View More Answers: