What should I do if I have been knowingly collecting SSI checks under a false social security number? 8 Answers as of July 18, 2011

I was given two social security numbers... My mom used one and had me declared fully disabled... the second I used in the Army... My mother died over 12-13 years ago... I got stupid collected 12-13 years of SSI checks for that time period...plus I've had two children.... SSI and the VA suspect me....I want to go back to being honest... And use my army information... what do I do?

The Chastaine Law Office
The Chastaine Law Office | Michael Chastaine
You need to sit down with a knowledgeable attorney and go over your options. It will be worth the investment to discuss the matter and come up with a game plan. You should expect that you will have to pay back the money that you took unlawfully so factor that it.
What should you do? Prepare to possibly spend some time in prison if caught and arrested. Computer records checks are finding such discrepancies these days, but they might not find you. To avoid or minimize that risk of prison, you could hire a criminal defense attorney to represent you in negotiations with the agency and prosecutors for a deal to turn yourself in with a guaranteed plea bargain you can live with. Your ID would remain unknown unless a deal was reached. I cant predict what that deal would look like, but it likely would require repayment of some amount. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
You should hire an attorney and with the attorney go to both the VA and SSI. It is always better to make the first contact. With the attorney you should work out a settlement.
Hire an attorney familiar with this area of the law from a criminal aspect. Do not discuss this here again. It is nit confidential and you are describing at least 10s of thousands of dollars of fraud.
Law Office of Andrew Roberts
Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
You need an attorney to deal with this. This is quite serious but if handled correctly your penalties can be minimized.
    You should get in contact with an attorney who specializes in SSI Fraud, as this is a serious offense S
    Hire a lawyer before you start incriminating yourself. With a decade of fraud, you are looking at some serious time.
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    Unless law enforcement knows about this and has contacted you you have no legal obligation to come forward. IF you were to come forward there would be a very good chance you would be prosecuted for various crimes and face the possibility of jail time. Before doing anything you need to confer with an experienced criminal defense attorney.