What should I do if I got a DWI? 5 Answers as of June 25, 2012

In December 2011 I got caught under the influence (.10) as well as possession of a small amount of marijuana and a non narcotic. I am 18. The case is just now being generated and I need to show up in court in a month. I have an out of state address, I might add. What should I expect?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
I'd recommend you exercise your right to counsel. You'll be arraigned and advised of your possible penalties for a conviction. Based on your alleged facts, you are probably looking at a variety of misdemeanor charges. The judge will also set a bond. You are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/25/2012
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
First you should get an attorney. This type of thing can cause all sorts of problems. Up to 93 days in jail, fines, increase in auto insurance rates etc. The marijuana charge if convicted can cut you off from student financing and other problems. A good attorney at the very lest should be able to work something out if not beat the charges, depending on all the facts. And yes if your license is from out of state the conviction WILL be reported to your State of residence.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/5/2012
Klisz Law Office, PLLC
Klisz Law Office, PLLC | Timothy J. Klisz
You need a local attorney to assist you. There is no way you should attempt to handle this, especially if you are out of state.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/4/2012
Charles Regan Shaw, PLC
Charles Regan Shaw, PLC | Charles R Shaw
Problems and potential jail time unless you retain professional legal representation. Contact your local bar association for an attorney referral.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/4/2012
The Law Office of Scott M. Aaronson, PLLC | Scott Aaronson
It is not uncommon that it took a few months before the case was filed. This is especially true if they need to process blood evidence. It will be harder to beat because the legal limit for OWI is much lower since you are under 21. A good attorney however, should check the breath logs and the in dash camera (if they were preserved) to make sure that there is nothing that can be done. After arraignment (where you are read your rights and you should plea not guilty), there will be a pre-trial where you will be able to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecutor. You should hire an attorney who does OWI work to assist you with this.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/4/2012
Click to View More Answers: