What should I do if I get sued for personal injury by another driver who hit my car? 18 Answers as of June 05, 2013

I was in a collision in May. My car was not moving and was hit by another car. Now the other driver might sue me for their injuries. I had liability coverage at the time of the incident. I reported the collision immediately to my insurance co. they said the other driver has hired a lawyer. I was cited with a traffic violation & was going to contest the ticket but a friend who is a cop advised me to pay the ticket so I did. I told my Ins. Co that I contest the crash report. I had a passenger in my car but I can’t find him & have no way of contacting him. What should I do? I’m getting physically sick from all the stress!

Let your insurance company handle it and don't worry. If you get sued, they will provide you with a lawyer and pay any judgment against you up to the limits of the policy.
A. Dawn Hayes & Assoc. P.A.
A. Dawn Hayes & Assoc. P.A. | A. Dawn Hayes
Your insurance company will provide you with a lawyer to represent you (no you will not have to pay the attorney)?if the other driver files a lawsuit.
McMahan Law Firm
McMahan Law Firm | Van D. McMahan
Your insurance company should hire an attorney to defend you. Call your insurance company and ask them who they have hired to represent you and give him/her a call.
Kirk D. Miller, P.S. | Kirk Miller
Having been issued a traffic infraction ticket is not conclusive proof of your liability for the accident. Your insurance carrier should defend you in the event the you are sued. Be sure to keep your insurance carrier apprised of any new events, especially if you are served with a lawsuit. The responses provided on this site are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as providing legal advice regarding an individual situation. No attorney-client relationship is created between the reader and Kirk D Miller PS.
How do you get a ticket sitting still and getting hit? And why would you pay the ticket and then contest the matter. you are doing this thing all wrong. tell your company and let them deal with the issue. That is what they do. That is what insurance is for. It aint for you to worry and fret about. There is nothing you can do except worry. No one cares what you think at this point. you have done all the damage you can do at this point. stop stop stop and get on with your life.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    If you get sued and served with the suit papers, turn them over to your car insurance company. They will hire a lawyer to defend you. Cooperate with the lawyer and the insurer. Tell them all facts which you believe show you are not @ fault.
    David P. Slater, esq.
    David P. Slater, esq. | David P. Slater
    Your insurance company should defend you if you are sued. If you have an insufficient amount of insurance, you should retain a private attorney to protect your interests.
    Loren Lambert
    Loren Lambert | Loren Lambert
    You are needlessly stressing. Sometimes people's own insurance companies mislead the insured's i.e. you in such a manner to cause some stress so that they shade their story and testimony to benefit the insurance company. Don't know if that's happening with you, but you need to understand that if you are sued your insurance company has an obligation to hire an attorney who will defend you. Stop stressing. Moreover if you are truly not at fault and witnesses are able to verify that, then your insurance may be able to successfully resolve your case. However, you must be very vigilant and if you're insurance company is offered a policy limits settlement and the insurance company fails to take advantage of the policy limits offer of settlement and a judgment is rendered that is in excess of your policy limits, you may have a bad faith claim against your own insurance company. Therefore make sure you tell your lawyer to make you aware of any offers of settlement and to discuss whether those offers should be accepted.
    Russell and Lazarus
    Russell and Lazarus | Marc Lazarus
    What you can do, and what you should do, is address the claims on their merits when and if a lawsuit should arise. If you get served with a lawsuit, then you need to give that lawsuit to your insurance company right away. The insurance company will then assign a lawyer to defend you and advise you.
    Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
    Let your insurance company hire a lawyer to defend you.
    Mistake number 1- Always fight the ticket. Your cop buddy did not do you any favor by telling you to pay the ticket. I also wonder for what the ticket was issued? Report to your insurance company that the other vehicle's operator hired a lawyer, and let the insurance company deal with this. Give the insurance company all information that you have about your passenger; they can probably find him.
    The Lariscy Law Firm, PC
    The Lariscy Law Firm, PC | Joseph E. Lariscy, III
    Your liability insurance coverage should cover the person who hit you, if you were found at fault. By paying a ticket, you are pleading guilty to the offense, which may have helped the other person's case in determining who was at fault for the accident. I would recommend speaking with an attorney to look into your case. Best of luck.
    Beaver Holt Sternlicht and Courie, P.A.
    Beaver Holt Sternlicht and Courie, P.A. | Mark A. Sternlicht
    If you are sued, your liability insurance company will provide an attorney for you and pay any damages up to the limits of your coverage. In the future, you should seek legal advice from attorneys, as you are doing now, rather than from police officers-paying the ticket may be held against you if you are sued.
    Law Offices of Mark Schondorf
    Law Offices of Mark Schondorf | Mark Schondorf
    Your insurance company should hire a lawyer to defend you. That is what insurance is for. Send them the lawsuit and see what they say.
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC | Bruce A. Curry
    You insurer has an obligation to hire an attorney for you and defend the claim. If and when you are sued, forward the paperwork on to your insurer or agent immediately.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    Since you have insurance on your car, you should not have to worry. Your insurance will provide you with legal defense if there are any lawsuits that arise from this accident. You or obligated to cooperate with your insurance company. You will also be covered if there is a settlement in this matter up to your insurance policy limits if the injuries can be substantiated.
    Geneva Yourse | Geneva Yourse
    Your insurance company will hire an attorney if you get sued. No need to worry.
    Leave it in the hands of your insurance company and quit worrying about it. The fact you paid the ticket is not admissible in a civil court proceeding, and believe me when I tell you that your insurance company will not pay them anything unless they can clearly prove you were at fault and they were injured.