What should I do if i found out my tax preparer filed a fraudulent tax return? 3 Answers as of April 18, 2011

I filed my taxes with someone newthis year and I found out they filed false information onmy tax return I trusted them because they were like family and I recieved a certain amount in cash but thewy took a lot of money off of it. I was curious as to why I was recieving cash but I did not com[plain being that me and my children were homeless for two 1/2 years and needed the money to move into our own place.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
You need to immediately file an amended return to reflect your true tax position. Even though someone else prepared the return, you are still responsible for its contents. When you signed the return you singed it under penalties of perjury. If fraudulent, you could be exposed to criminal and civil tax fraud. These penalties are quite severe in both monetary fines and possible imprisonment. You need to amend the return immediately even if you cannot pay the additional taxes that result from the amended return. To amend the return, use Form 1040X and be sure to fill out the details of your situation. However, do not do this without the help of a tax attorney or a tax litigation attorney who specializes in tax fraud.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 4/18/2011
Givner & Kaye
Givner & Kaye | Bruce Givner
You should immediately take your papers to an honest CPA and get good advice. That good advice will probably be to file an amended return or risk going to jail when the dishonest preparer is finally caught.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/18/2011
Meyer & Yee, LLP
Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
You should file an amended return (1040X) with the correct information and deal with any liability when you see if you owe anything.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/15/2011
Click to View More Answers: